From myriad designs ranging from race cars, trains, mermaids and space ships, these wondrous little marvels have been rising in popularity since the past decade. Look at the store shelves, if you must, to see a plethora of electric toothbrush brands being stocked and cleaned on a regular basis. If that doesn’t surprise you, we do not know what will!
Should you consider yourself as an advanced brusher and avid flosser, manual toothbrushes might just be your pick, but for those who have difficulty maintaining motion of the brush inside their mouth cavities (for example, those with motor dysfunction such as arthritis), power toothbrushes are a lifesaver!
The beauty of electric toothbrush?
The presentation and model in which electric toothbrushes are designed allows for ease in overall user-accessibility and usage. Over the years, time has changed. From hard decisions like picking soft or harder bristles that suit your gums and teeth texture, modern choices have advanced into picking pricier and often expensive toothbrush models over simpler, manual ones.
Manual toothbrushes often demand extra effort from its user to pay attention to their teeth. They also risk of not getting the job done properly should you feel a tad lazy in not completing your brushing task in an efficient manner. How? Most of us often do not spend the necessary two minutes to fully clean our teeth as dentists prescribe!
If you’ve been seeing people use electric toothbrushes and it feels good. You might want to give it a try someday. However, before proceeding, here is some information to digest about them:
- Electric toothbrushes have the capability to reach out to large surfaces in your mouth cavity and help clean them faster than your normal alternative could. When a manual brush can offer a swipe of 300 strokes per minute, an electric brush can speed it up to a 1000 (and some models even 5X that figure) per minute! This might give you a fair idea as to how electric brushes can help you clean your teeth faster and with finesse and efficiency.
- Electric toothbrushes can help clean your mouth cavities faster and efficiently than their normal powered counterparts. A recent study by the New York College of Dentistry, has come to the conclusion that amongst its test subjects who had preferred the utilization of electric brushes, they had lessened their plaque and gum diseases chances drastically.
- According to “Monica Parker” a clinical assistant Dentist at the New York College of Dentistry says, Power accessories such as electric toothbrushes are a boon for people who have a problem with maintaining their hands in perpetual motion. This helps them to look after their dental hygiene.”
The most primary concern that people have with electric brushes is its cost. When you can buy a normal toothbrush from the shelves with a few dollars, a decent power brush often can stretch up your budget to a $100! They are often bulky and require occasional top-changes as normal brushes do as they endure daily usage wear-tear. These extra expenses often add in to your budget and can possibly lighten your wallet. “There is another probable issue that could derail your mission to dental hygiene,” claims Monica. “You might think your $60 electric accessory might clean your teeth better and safer when it may clearly be not the case.”
What are the types of electric brushes?
There are basically two categories of electric brushes, let’s understand how they are generally classified. Usually, price does come in as a factor and so does the technology utilized in its inception. But the main different criterion is how the brush tends to move and what powers it. If you consider trying out an electric brush – below are few types to select from…
Sonic electric toothbrushes
As for Sonic toothbrushes, these are subset of electric toothbrushes that exhibits a very fat movement in the mouth. Sonic brushes are sufficiently quick to create vibration capable of being heard. Most advanced rechargeable electric toothbrushes from brands, for example, Sonicare, and Oral-B fall into this class and regularly have a frequencies that drives from 200 to 400 Hz, which means there are 12,000-24,000 motions or 24,000-48,000 movements for each circle.
Since sonic toothbrushes depend on sweeping movement alone to clean the teeth, the development that they give is frequently high in sufficiency, implying that the length of the sweeping developments that they make is relatively big.
- Claims have been made that sonic electric toothbrushes are very effective than manual ones as they are less reliant upon a user’s personal home brushing strategy.
- A few dental practitioners likewise assert that they these sets of brushes help kids with defeating their fear of the dental practitioner.
- Sonic can basically be used both by adults and children, as a matter of fact, it is cross effective and exerts the same level of effectiveness.
- Sonic brushes are “normal” looking brush head-top with it singular tufts of bristles rotating independently. Also known as “the Interplak toothbrush”
- Some of them are very expensive to purchase – most especially if students and school children were to purchase and use. However, one of the major determinants of the prices is the brand maker.
- Exerting excess pressure during usage is not ideal; hence chances are that you’d incur injuries in your teeth. Plus also suffer from maybe broken too.
Ultrasonic electric toothbrushes
Largely, the most costly of the parcel, the quick vibrations in the mouth depression drives the plaque to relax up and crumble into blankness. It’s productive, safe and isn’t tedious as the others.
Ultrasonic toothbrushes transmit vibrations that are high in recurrence yet low in adequacy. These vibrations separate bacterial chains that make up dental plaque and evacuate their techniques for connection to the tooth surface up to 5 mm underneath the gum line.
Some ultrasonic toothbrushes, for example, the Emmi-Dent, give just ultrasonic movement. Other ultrasonic toothbrushes, for example, the Ultra and the Megasonex, give extra sonic vibration movement from 9,000 to 40,000 circles for each moment, equivalent to a sonic toothbrush, keeping in mind the end goal to give extra clearing movement which encourages expulsion of food particles and bacterial chain leftovers. The sonic vibration in these ultrasonic toothbrushes might be lower in abundance than that found in a practically identical sonic toothbrush in light of the fact that the bacterial chains don’t should be expelled through sonic vibration, basically cleared away, as they have as of now been separated by the ultrasound.
- Ultrasonic toothbrushes do not rely on physical motion of their bristles unlike their counterparts.
- To be considered as an ultrasonic, it needs to emit almost a vibration of up to 2, 400,000 beats per minute or a wave of 20,000Hz.
- With an intense barrage of high frequency waves on low amplitude, the bacteria groups that manufacture plaque inside the mouth cavity disintegrate as far as 5mm below the normal gum-line.
- Newer models of Rotary toothbrushes have come up with innovative techniques such as a speedier pulsating brush head which moves back and forth inside the mouth cavity at high speeds.
- They often have an edge over their contemporaries by reaching the most inaccessible part of plaque lodging between their teeth and help maintain dental hygiene.
- They have proven to be a much familiar user feel to a new electric user who has just begun his transition from manual brushes.
- They tend to be the cheapest among all electric models.
- One of the cons of ultrasonic toothbrushes is the price tag that this segment of the brush often carries.
- Pro-Medic VIS-IR Ultrasonic Electric Power Toothbrush costs about $220 while Oral-B’s models often tend to cost higher
What parents are saying
A good number of parents and guardian out there understands what it means to raise hygienically inclined children. Tooth brushing is one of those important aspects of grooming that is not left out of the discussion. It helps children immensely in keeping up with clean and healthy lifestyle. Especially as they come of age. Here are few reviews from our amicable parents.
- Its helps kids maintain hygiene
Kids would find it a joy to use this modern marvel. All they need is to plug it into their mouth and off they go to a happy dental life! People who use braces could as well find it easier to cope with electric brushes, and are capable of delving deep between braces and cleaning it efficiently.
- Treats laziness
There are a few of us out there who hardly likes this manual thing. If your dentist says you aren’t removing plaque with your manual brush, it means it’s time to switch up gears and find a power brush that can help you with your dental hygiene.
- Perfectly developed
A good number of these electronic brushes are perfectly developed – looking at the multifarious number of features in it. In the case of oscillatory electric brush, the time to complete each cycle of oscillation is well timed. More so, has an adjustable platform to help ease control and maintenance.
Experts Point of view
Following experts’ ideas and point of view on electric toothbrushes – it still remains the reasons these remarkably invented brushes still remain in market. Let’s hear a few words from industry leading experts:
- Stain and dirt removal
In today’s bustling society, individuals frequently depend on beverages that contain caffeine, for example, espresso, hot tea, frosted tea, and pop. These beverages are one way that workers, understudies, and explorers keep themselves rationally ready and physically enthusiastic. In any case, the continuous utilization of beverages like espresso and tea can in the long run cause staining and recoloring of the teeth. The additional scouring force of an electric toothbrush makes it simpler for clients to evacuate undesirable stains and brighten their grin.
- Fresher Breath
As for terrible breath, or halitosis, this happens when foul smells exude from the mouth and are observable to other individuals. Terrible breath can be exacerbated when individuals eat nourishments like onions, dairy items, garlic, or fish, or when they expend espresso, liquor, or smoke cigarettes. Now and then, halitosis can be brought about by the nearness of microscopic organisms or plaque in the concealed openings of the mouth.
It is imperative for clients to take full preferred standpoint of their electric toothbrush and its capacity to reach back far into the mouth. The highest point of the tongue, under the tongue, and the back region of the mouth around the molars are here and there extreme to reach. An electric toothbrush takes into account simple and effective cleaning of those zones, making both a cleaner mouth and fresher breath.
- Profound Cleaning
The design of most electric toothbrushes helps them to achieve a few sections of the teeth that are difficult to clean with a manual toothbrush. The zones of the teeth closest the gums, and additionally the cleft in the middle of the teeth, are frequently shelters for microorganisms. Electric toothbrushes have swarms that move quick and clean in-depth, so they can venture into these splits, bends, and hole to concentrate nourishment particles and destructive microscopic organisms. The movement of the brush supplies more weight and power, scouring without end at any layers of plaque.
- Effortless Cleaning
Electric toothbrushes are developed to finish till the end, in-depth, quick cleaning. A few user who are thinking about an electric toothbrush should first consider whether such productive cleaning may leave their mouth and their gums sore after a short-while.
If gums are already hurt due to improper oral hygiene, they will probably be delicate to any sort of brushing, whether it is electric or manual.
Some Top Brands You May Like to Know
Oral B – Oral B, an innovative brand and reputable name is the international market. Popular makers of home care products, grooming products as well as electric and manual toothbrushes.
Colgate Palmolive – The Colgate Palmolive Company is a UK based company that deals grossly in the manufacturing of several home and hygiene products, as well as cosmetics products; some such as soaps, toothbrushes and baby care products..
Crest – Crest brand focuses on oral products as well as toothpastes, brushes and dental products.
Philips Sonicare – Philips Sonicare are the best sellers when it comes to electric toothbrush trading. With famous products like the Philips Sonicare rechargeable electric toothbrushes and kids products; the brand is a forefront several others.
Gum – As it name signifies; Gum brand of oral products are channeled around keeping the teeth healthy and hygienically up-to-date.